Gabion Wall Garden is made of woven wire coated with zinc heavy galvanize with a double twist that forms a hexagon hole (hexagonal) by fastened tightly between the sides. The strength of gabion itself lies in tensile strength, galvanized layer that makes wire does not rust easily, and strength of double coil in a hexagonal hole of webbing so that webbing is not easily decomposed.
The Function of Gabion Wall Garden:
- Protect and strengthen soil cliffs, either on river slopes or embankment slopes
- Guarding river banks against runoff and erosion
However, the current implementation of Gabion to various design elements has developed very rapidly. Gabion is no longer seen only as a functional application but has far developed into an aesthetically processed process that has its own appeal. Gabion wires have also been made very diverse to compensate for applications that are already more dynamic.
Types of Gabion Wire Used
The wire used is generally a type of galvanized coated steel wire (heavy zinc galvanize). This type of wire itself has anti-rust strength. The goal is of course that the walls are durable and not easily damaged. In addition to galvanized steel wire, PVC wire material is also often used as material for this structure.
PVC wire has a layer of semi-plastic material on its surface. Mentioned, because it has two layers, PVC wire has a strength that is superior to the galvanized wire. In addition to corrosion resistance, PVC wire also has resistance to exposure to high levels of acidic substances. Another advantage of PVC wire is the plastic surface which has a variety of colors. Gabion walls that use this type of wire become more attractive compared to galvanized steel wire.
Type of Stone Used
So, what type of stone is generally used to fill the gabion walls? Generally the stone used in its manufacture is split stone. that are large stones that have been broken into smaller chunks. The purpose of this stone is to resist erosion from the impact of water. The stone used must be big! Why? Because if it is small, then the stone can come out of a hexagon-shaped wire hole.
The technique of Making Gabion Wall Garden
This type of wire used to make the structure of a retaining wall has a characteristic strong and thick. That is why making it can not be done manually by hand and simple tools. Special machine assistance is needed to be able to weave the wire in accordance with a standardized design. Meanwhile, the gabion wall used for decorating homes can be made manually by hand.
Advantages of Gabion Wall
- Flexible can follow the movement of the soil underneath without damaging construction
- Translucent water, so that it can reduce the active soil pressure due to water that can flow through the gaps of gabion rocks
- Simple construction can be done without high-tech machines
- Can be installed in diverse environments, both in water or dry places
- Environmentally friendly
- Its weight is light and easy to carry
- Can be produced with sizes that are tailored to the needs in the field
A weakness of Gabion Wall
- The material made from a thick galvanized-coated wire is not resistant to water conditions that contain high salt content or high acid content
- Gabion construction requires a large area due to its large size